Top 10 Ways to Cut Summer Electric Use
Apr 12, 2010
It’s never too early to act to beat the summer heat! There are many things that you, as a homeowner, can do to reduce your energy bills. Replace your AC or repair duct work, and you can reap the benefits of energy dollar savings all year long!
1. Replace your AC.
Today's ACs use 30-50% less electricity than a 15-year old model.
2. Repair ductwork.
Ducts in the average home leak 25-30% of air conditioning directly into the attic.
3. Install solar screens or solar film on windows hit by direct sunlight.
Direct sunlight makes your air conditioner run longer. Solar screens on windows can block out 60% to 70% of sunlight/heat.
4. Increase attic insulation.
Over time, insulation compresses and loses some effectiveness. The average 15-year old home needs 5 to 8 additional inches.
5. Install a radiant barrier.
6. Get an AC check.
7. Clean or change air filters monthly.
8. Replace standard light bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFL).
9. Use a programmable thermostat.
10. Manage temperature settings.