Most of us are familiar with mold. In addition to this fungus that can grow on food, plants and areas where you have moisture or high humidity, you may run across tiny creatures called mold mites. These microscopic white or tan colored mites feed on mold and fungi and are part of the larger species of mites, including cheese mites, flour mites and grain mites.
Mold mites are wingless, smooth and so small that they don’t cause structural damage, and they don’t bite humans. However, these soft-bodied pests do have long “hairs” which can cause an allergic reaction in some people. That is why some individuals may believe they have gotten mold spores bites when they have actually been in contact with a mold mite. In some cases, what may feel like a bite or sting is actually a skin irritation linked to an allergic reaction to mold growing inside your home. … Read Full Post »