Spending an afternoon relaxing by the pool, catching up on your favorite book, is a dream for many homeowners. The reality, however, is that maintaining a pool can be a lot of work. Then, there are the repairs to consider. Many homeowners also get to a point where they realize that it may be time for a pool remodel.
Pool Remodeling Tips
There are many reasons to remodel your pool. While some homeowners consider new features to make their pool more enjoyable for their family, others choose to make upgrades to improve a home’s resale value. Whatever the motivation, let’s dive in (pun intended) to the topic with some reasons why you might consider remodeling your pool and simple updates you can do to make the most of your investment.
Five Reasons to Remodel Your Pool
Sooner or later, every pool needs a renovation of one type or another. Here are some signs that it might be time for a swimming pool remodel or makeover:
- Your pool has a leak. A drop off of water level which is not due to evaporation might be signaling a leak.
- Mechanical systems are aging. Equipment such as the pool’s pump, filter and plumbing show signs of age and may need to be replaced to keep the pool or spa functioning well.
- Safety features are needed. Does your pool accommodate everyone who want to use it? If not, consider adding features to help them easily get in and out of the pool, such as railings and ladders, that are up to the latest safety standards. You should consider installing a pool fence if you have younger children to make sure they don’t enter your pool without adult supervision.
- Worn out surfaces and fixtures. With use over time, a pool’s tiles, decking and lighting might show signs of wear. These aesthetic features are worth maintaining to make sure you are maximizing your return on investment on your pool.
- Aesthetics or the fun side of a makeover. If you installed your pool years ago and its design is already out of fashion, it might be time to update the look to make it more contemporary.
Five Pool Makeover Ideas that Won’t Break the Bank
A total pool renovation is generally a good use of both money and time if you plan to be in your home for the long-term and you take advantage of your pool. If your pool could benefit from a smaller makeover, we’ve got a few suggestions based on our experience of maintaining, cleaning and repairing pools for decades. Our top pool remodeling tips include:
- Changing the Tile at the Waterline
A small remodeling project that can go a long way in updating the look of a pool is updating the waterline tile. There are so many modern and contemporary choices to choose from that the sky’s the limit!
- Replastering or Resurfacing
Replastering or resurfacing your pool is an option if you have a larger budget for remodeling. Replastering and resurfacing improves the look of a pool, while also replacing a worn or uneven surface. Older pools tend to have a simple plaster finish and an update to one of the popular aggregate finishes that come in different colors and adding quartz or even stones might be a good choice when it’s time to make an upgrade.
- Swapping in LED Lighting
Many pools have basic lighting or floodlights in the yard, so consider upgrading to LED lights. Like in your home, LED lighting is more energy efficient than traditional options. Lighting is a low-cost way to transform an ordinary pool into an oasis. Homeowners often install LED lights of many different colors below the water or practically anywhere in the pool area.
- Adding More Energy-Efficient Equipment
Making it less expensive to operate while adding in new technology focused on efficiency might be a good approach when updating your pool. A variable speed pool pump uses less electricity and may even qualify for an energy rebate from your utility company. Other options to consider include solar-powered features (e.g. lights and heaters) and energy-efficient filters.
- Upgrading to an Automation System
As technology is evolving, enhancing our homes, the pool is getting a few new gadgets too. Many of these can easily be retrofitted to older pools. You might consider adding a robotic cleaner, automatic pool cover or even an all-in-one pool automation system, designed to be run via your smartphone.
Need more inspiration? Check out the photos in this article, with the cool water features and exciting pool shapes and backyard designs.
Leave the Hard Work to ABC
Are you ready for a facelift for your pool? Or are you just looking for someone to do repairs or routine maintenance and cleaning? Trust your pool to the experts at ABC Home & Commercial Services. For over 60 years, we have been making homeowners’ (and pool owners’) lives easier, so that you can go back to enjoying more fun in the sun.