Garbage disposals can simplify life by reducing overall household waste. However, if they are not properly maintained, garbage disposals can easily malfunction, leading to drain blockages as well as a host of other plumbing nightmares.
Results of improperly maintained garbage disposals include clogged pipes, damaged wires and loose blades. Installing and repairing a garbage disposal is not the best choice for a DIY project as many things can, and often do, go wrong. The experts at ABC Home & Commercial Services, your San Antonio plumbing specialists, can solve all of your drain dilemmas.
By following these simple steps, you can prolong the life of your garbage disposal and save hundreds of dollars on replacement costs.
Do’s of Disposal Maintenance:
- Keep your disposal clean by flushing it out with a small amount of dish soap and cold running water after you wash dishes.
- Every week, fill the disposal with ice cubes and run cold water for about 30 seconds to loosen debris.
- Once a month, pour two tablespoons of baking soda and half a cup of white vinegar down the disposal to disinfect and degrease it.
- Run the disposal regularly to prevent rust and corrosion.
- Always run cold water down the disposal.
- Cut large food items into small pieces, and place them in the disposal one at a time to prevent clogging.
- Place citrus peels in the disposal to keep your disposal smelling fresh.
Don’ts of Disposal Maintenance:
- Don’t put anything down the disposal that is not biodegradable food—this includes paper, glass, plastic, or metal.
- Don’t pour grease, fat, or oil down the drain. Instead, use a can to contain it, and throw it in the trash once it has cooled.
- Don’t use hot water when grinding food. Hot water causes grease to liquefy and clog the drain.
- Don’t grind fibrous foods, such as cornhusks, celery stalks, lettuce or onion peels.
- For safety, never stick your hand down into the disposal. If something falls in, try using an extra long pair of needle-nosed pliers to retrieve it.
Follow these suggestions to keep your garbage disposal running efficiently and to avoid unnecessary visits from your San Antonio plumber.
– See more at: http://www.abchomeandcommercial.com/blog/san-antonio-plumbing-garbage-disposal-maintenance-dos-donts/#sthash.Nq8euIIQ.dpuf