Prompt, courteous, and efficient service every time they come to service our house.
Important Zika Virus Information
The news of Zika virus, a disease causing pathogen spread to humans through mosquito bites, being found in the U.S. has been alarming people everywhere, and human cases have been confirmed in the state of Texas. In addition to the illness associated with the virus, there is concern about the potential effect in pregnant women with mounting evidence of a link to microcephaly, a congenital condition associated with incomplete brain development in infants.
To learn more about the Zika Virus, its transmission, the possibility of an outbreak, prevention tips and more, please click here to visit this resource from the National Pest Management Association.
For information specifically about pregnancy and the Zika Virus, please click here to visit this resource from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
And remember that an ABC Pest Specialist is just a quick phone call or click away and will work tirelessly to help keep your home and family safe from mosquitoes!
At the very least, mosquitoes are a real annoyance! Many people are allergic to mosquitoes, and their bites can be itchy and painful. Having mosquitoes constantly buzzing around you while you’re trying to enjoy your time outdoors is nothing short of unpleasant.
There are several other reasons why mosquitoes are problematic.
- Worldwide, mosquitoes pose a serious health threat. They are one of the biggest carriers of disease, spreading illnesses like West Nile Virus, Zika Virus, Malaria, Yellow Fever and Dengue Fever. Mosquitoes are also responsible for transmitting heart-worms in dogs.
- Female mosquitoes can produce 50 to 500 eggs in one brood.
- Therefore, within five generations, mosquitoes can increase by 20 million!
- Some mosquitoes will fly five to ten miles in order to breed, thus spreading quickly throughout an area under the right conditions.
Once you call us and schedule a service call, we’ll come out and conduct a thorough inspection of your property. Your Pest Specialist will be looking for signs of mosquito infestations as well as conditions that could be conducive to breeding, such as standing water or other areas of excessive moisture.
Once the Pest Specialist assesses your situation, a couple of different options will likely be suggested.
ABC has a misting system that has proven to be an effective course of action. We’ve gathered together some of the best available tools and strategies to deal with mosquitoes and have put together a system that’s comprehensive and effective. ABC uses a direct contact system that mists your outdoor living environment for mosquitoes. This system delivers our products, kills mosquitoes and provides maximum comfort and enjoyment of outdoor living spaces.
How it works:
- After we design the system (number of nozzles, locations, etc.), we’ll install tubing & misters along the perimeter of structures, in landscaped areas, along fences, and in other areas where mosquitoes are likely to be found.
- Your misting system can be programmed to automatically treat your property at times of day when mosquitoes are most active. You can also activate your system by remote control for manual use.
- The misting system consists of durable nylon tubing and precision nozzles that are strategically installed where they’re most needed. The nozzles are made of stainless steel and brass and feature a positive shutoff at the opening to prevent dripping.
You can also reclaim your outdoor space by purchasing our backpack misting program. Misting the area around plants, walls and landscaping areas can quickly and effectively reduce the number of mosquitoes in your landscape. We spray treat all the areas of your yard and depending on weather conditions after treatment, the treatment can remain effective against mosquitoes for approximately 4 weeks. For example: a 5000 square foot lawn can be treated for between $60 - $95 (depending on foliage and landscape details). We will be happy to provide an evaluation and estimate for your particular yard.
You can make the most out of your mosquito treatments by following a few simple tips:
- Don’t water your yard immediately after you have received a mosquito treatment.
- If your ABC Pest Specialist has identified areas on your property that are prone to excessive moisture (standing water), you can help by trying to eliminate them.
- Be on the lookout for areas of your property that could be mosquito-friendly.
Areas to monitor:
- Bird baths – change the water regularly.
- Check trash cans and lids for standing water and dry them out.
- If you have a container garden, check pot drainage saucers.
- Inflatable pools and other bodies of standing water should be checked on a regular basis.